Sufi Arts International Network UK
Join us and become our member
Sufi Arts Fusion Festival 22/23
CWTC is proposing to organise a Sufi Arts Fusion Festival in partnership with Oldham Music Service, Oldham Theatre Workshop, one Primary School and traditional artists aims to bring a unique vibrant cultural offer to all ages of our diverse communities of Oldham by promoting social inclusion, uniting diverse artists to create talent and support career development, support health and wellbeing.
There will be rehearsals from October 2022 to February 2023 with artists leading up to the event at Queen Elizabeth Hall, Oldham.
The one-day programme on Saturday 25th February 2023 at Queen Elizabeth Hall, Oldham, will include a launch of the event, number of educational arts workshops, career pathways in creative industry, arts and crafts, literature, exhibitions on the theme of Sufi arts and followed by performances in the evening.
The project aims to achieve:
- bring together 6 regional Qawwali artists in fusion performance with Youth Orchestra and Youth Choir provided by the Oldham Music Service. The musicians to exchange knowledge and skills of different styles to make music richer.
- engage music arranger and conductor for musicians from the youth Orchestra
- provide rehearsals for musicians and dancers from October 2022 to February 2023
- engage poets to recite bilingual poetry so the audience can understand and engage with the performance
- engage traditional Dervish Dancers (Whirling Dervish Style) with 4 dancers from Oldham Theatre workshop to provide visual performance to express emotion and symbolise the human soul.
- continue the development of Sufi Music Focus Group.
- engage traditional Qawali group with Local and regional Nasheed singers
- engage arts and crafts and information stalls from businesses from the creative industry to support careers in the creative sector. This will include arts organisations, musicians, arts and crafts, poetry, calligraphy, performing arts colleges, media organisations.
CWTC is currently applying for funding to support this unique project.
Past Events organised by CWTC:
- Organised Online Qawali Music Fusion – 2021 – combination of Sufi performances with western musicians, dervish dancers and poetry.
- Ongoing since 1987 – Music Fusion in schools combining Asian and western musicians.
- Organised consultation and ‘Rhythms of Pakistan event’ on 3 October 2019 at Unity House, Rochdale. The aim is to develop an international network on arts, culture and the heritage of Pakistan. The event was attended 120 people of regional musicians, organisations, promoters and local people from south Asian and western background.
- Sufi Qawwali Fusion Music Concert on Sunday 14th May 2017 at Heywood Civic Centre. The project brought together artists from different backgrounds who rehearsed to perform with a unique visual presentation of translated poetry on Sufism.
- Delivered We Stand Together Peace Concert – Sunday 16th July 2017 at Heywood Civic Hall, Rochdale with Asian and western musicians.
- Fusion Music National Tour with professional artists from Pakistan and Greater Manchester to perform at Bridge Water Hall, Philharmonic Hall, Colston Hall, Bristol, Peoples Theatre, Newcastle funded by the Arts Council.
PLEASE CLICK BELOW TO SEE OUR PREVIOUS PROJECT